Veterinary Nurse – Full Time
- Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital
The mission of Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital (AZWH) is to rescue, repair, rehabilitate and release sick, injured and orphaned Australian native animals. AZWH is an emergency wildlife hospital operating 24/7/365 which admits more than 8000 sick injured and orphaned native animals annually.
Our team at AZWH is seeking a motivated & experienced Veterinary Nurse to join our team! AZWH Veterinary Nurses are supervised by Senior Nursing staff and the Director of AZWH to ensure that the daily operations of the AZWH are maintained at a high standard. Veterinary nurses must be able to function in a dynamic environment with constantly changing priorities consistent with emergency work. Animal welfare is a priority and responsibility for personal safety when working with wild animals is critical. Customer service is an important part of the position with a need to communicate positively with the public, the media, VIPs and other staff to promote conservation and education.
The purposed built hospital was constructed in memorial to Steve Irwin’s mum, Lyn & is part of the Wildlife Warriors Worldwide Ltd charity. It has state of the art veterinary hospital facilities including: surgery theatre, treatment room, radiology room, species specific intensive care units, pharmacy and pathology, as well as extensive koala and sea turtle rehabilitation facilities.
The hospital seeks to provide gold standard care for native wildlife. It does so by continuously improving, researching and also developing new and innovative solutions for treating the large variety of species and problems that are seen daily. The hospital plays a significant role in educating visitors & influencing change in people’s behaviour assisting with conservation worldwide.
- Assisting veterinarians in day-to-day procedures, including anaesthesia monitoring, surgical preparation, triage and emergency treatments.
- Cleaning, medicating and feeding of all animals in ICUs and outside enclosures.
- Following treatment plans set by the veterinarians.
- Intensive care monitoring of critical patients.
- Maintaining high level of hygiene during cleaning and maintenance of animal enclosures.
- Preparation of food and feeding of a variety of species in accordance with diet requirements, feeding schedules and procedures.
- Maintaining detailed animal records.
- Providing a high standard of customer service both for members of the public and wildlife carers.
- Following AZWH procedures and protocols.
- Working within the guidelines of health and safety procedures to ensure animal, personal and visitor security and safety.
- Maintaining the highest standard of animal welfare.
- Committing to Australia Zoo’s privacy and confidentiality policies.
- Current Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years experience as a Veterinary Nurse.
- Radiology License
- Knowledge of emergency medicine principles, surgical preparation, ICU monitoring and anaesthesia monitoring.
- Good hygiene practices, including understanding of basic quarantine procedures.
- Ability to observe and report abnormal animal behaviours.
- Be able to handle animals in a safe and confident manner.
- Flexibility with days/hours of work – there is a rotational roster & it is shift work (including nights, weekends, public holidays and school holidays).
- Excellent presentation and outstanding customer service skills.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a large team.
- Rabies, QFever & Tetanus
- 1st Aid qualifications
- Knowledge of animal husbandry and wildlife species natural history, including hand-raising of wildlife species
- Knowledge of the main food trees of koalas
Apply for this job below.
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have e.g. First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- Your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application